Friday, October 24, 2014

Radio Nights




The world arrived through a two-inch speaker.  A small crack, a doorway opening to a mysterious world outside, somewhere outside, somewhere there were people talking to me.  The whisper voices of static in tempo with the crickets outside my window on a summer night.  This was my bridge, a secret passage to another world at night.  I was no longer in a small town in a small room.  I was riding somewhere on those sounds, crackling, distant and magic.  Somehow the distance made the magic more powerful.  Those sounds were traveling through the air, into space, forever, magic.  And I could hold it all in my hand.
I grew up following magic voices, always from somewhere.  Somewhere else.
Filtered through space, cradled by train whistles, highways humming and night birds calling.  Magic voices pulled down to earth with each one carrying the tantalizing map to somewhere, somewhere beyond here. 

-Kevin Slick

No comments:

Post a Comment